Non-Emergency Medical Transportation (NEMT) is fundamental when it comes to the healthcare industry, offering efficient services that greatly help patients in need. However, if you're a NEMT coordinator, get ready, because this role is extremely challenging and complex, especially if you don't have a fleet of vans at your disposal. Do you know why a fleet of vans can help you, as a NEMT coordinator? Because, in addition to having an extremely safe and capable means of transportation, you don't have to spend energy thinking about cost and maintenance issues, among others. Therefore, we have written this article to explore how van rental services can help NEMT providers overcome common challenges and improve the quality of care for patients, and how Zeeba can transform your NEMT business considerably. Happy reading!
Finding the Right Vehicle for Your NEMT Business
One of the most important functions for a NEMT provider is choosing the right vehicle to safely and effectively serve patients. At Zeeba, we have more than 13 models, each one better than the other, to meet your specific needs! However, for those who are still lost, it can be very confusing and overwhelming to find a vehicle that encompasses qualities such as necessary medical equipment, comprehensive patient capacity, and meets the required accessibility level for all people. Therefore, we have gathered some very important information to help you choose the right vehicle for your mission!
1. Identify The Right Van For Your Needs
We've created a simplified step-by-step guide to help you find the ideal van for your non-emergency medical transportation needs. Don't forget to share it with your friends who work in NEMT!
- Identify the type and size of the medical equipment that needs to be transported;
- Always keep in mind the number of patients to be transported and choose a van with an appropriate seating capacity. Perhaps our Mercedes Benz Sprinter 15 Passenger Van can help you out!
- Analyze the accessibility required for your clients and opt for a van with useful features, such as wheelchair lifts, ramps, and securing devices. This way, everyone can be safely accommodated.
- Check the local and state regulations regarding the specifications for NEMT vehicles;
- Consider adding some extra features, such as GPS navigation systems and climate control for the comfort of the patients. At Zeeba, our dashboard is incredibly simple and intuitive, so you won't have to worry about that!
2. Define Your NEMT Business Trip Metrics
As you're well aware, operating a non-emergency medical transportation business requires meticulous planning and careful decision-making. A crucial factor to keep in mind is having a set of metrics at your disposal to assess your trips' performance. By establishing clear metrics for your NEMT business, you'll be better prepared to make informed decisions about which vans are most suitable for your operation. In this way, by examining trip metrics, you can identify the most profitable routes, the most efficient vans, and the most productive, experienced drivers. In this regard, when you monitor these metrics, you can make data-driven decisions to optimize your NEMT business and increase your profits. Some essential metrics to consider when evaluating your NEMT business trips include the average NEMT trip and the number of trips a single NEMT vehicle can complete per day.
Average NEMT Trip
The average NEMT trip represents nothing more, nothing less than the typical distance and time taken for journeys involved in non-emergency medical transportation. This metric can vary depending on the nature of the medical appointment or treatment, as well as the patient's location and the necessary accessibility level they require. Therefore, you can use this metric to assess costs, adjust routes and scheduling, and improve your operations' overall efficiency. Additionally, it can help determine the number of vehicles needed for your business. We can assure you that with Zeeba, you'll get the best metrics and the best-equipped vans for your service!
Trips Per Day One NEMT Vehicle Can Complete
If curiosity has struck and you've wondered about a vehicle for non-emergency medical transportation (NEMT), we have the right answer for you. Initially, this metric varies depending on factors such as the distance between trips, the time required for pick-up and drop-off, and the number of patients being transported. However, on average, an NEMT vehicle can handle about 6 to 8 trips per day. With this information, you can get a baseline for how many vans you'll need to meet the day's demand. With this insight, you can start exploring suitable models. If you're looking for a fleet of vans with unlimited mileage, Zeeba can help! We have numerous professionals across the country, allowing you to provide your services throughout the state!
3. Research Van Models and Select The Most Suitable Option
In running a successful non-emergency medical transportation business, choosing the right van is of utmost importance. It's essential to carry out comprehensive research to ensure you find the most appropriate option tailored to your specific requirements. Here are a few tips to assist you in your research and decision-making process:
- Prioritize safety features: Safety is paramount in your NEMT business, so seek out vans equipped with safety features such as airbags, anti-lock brakes, and electronic stability control. Opt for vans that have undergone crash-testing and boast a high safety rating.
- Assess fuel efficiency: Fuel expenses can be a considerable burden for NEMT businesses, so select a van that's fuel-efficient. Search for vans with commendable gas mileage and contemplate alternative fuel choices, like hybrids or electric vehicles.
- Consider maintenance costs: Factor in the expense of maintaining your van. Aim for vans with low maintenance costs and straightforward repairs. Take into account the availability of replacement parts and the repair costs in your region.
4. Compare The Prices and Choose The Best Option
Once you've pinpointed the most suitable options for your unique needs, the final step involves comparing prices and conditions to arrive at the best decision. Here are some tips to help you compare prices and select the most fitting option:
- Obtain quotes from various suppliers: To secure the best deal, gather quotes from multiple van suppliers. This enables you to compare prices and conditions, ultimately empowering you to make an informed choice.
- Contrast prices and conditions: Examine each van supplier's prices and conditions, comparing them against your specific requirements. Take into account factors such as rental duration, insurance, fuel expenses, and maintenance.
- Select the optimal option: After comparing prices and conditions, opt for the most suitable choice that aligns with your specific needs and budget.
When renting a van for your NEMT business, it's crucial to pick a supplier that delivers high-quality vans and exceptional service. Seek out a supplier with a strong reputation, flexible rental options, and outstanding customer support.
5. Consider Renting a Van vs. Purchasing
When it comes to obtaining a van for your non-emergency medical transportation (NEMT) business, you have two main options: renting or buying. While buying a van might appear as the more straightforward choice, renting a van can present numerous advantages that warrant your consideration. Opting for a van rental grants you access to a top-notch vehicle without the long-term commitment and maintenance expenses associated with ownership. Moreover, renting offers the flexibility to adjust your van choices as your business requirements evolve. By contemplating van rental instead of a purchase, you can reap the benefits of a high-quality vehicle without the enduring commitment and maintenance costs that come with ownership. In the following section, we will delve deeper into the perks of renting vans for your NEMT enterprise.